Saving the Log4J patterns

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

monkeyk

Saving the Log4J patterns

Post by monkeyk »

Hi,

first let me say that I'm very pleased with LogMX. It's like a new world after reading logs with less or vi.

Anyway, I have one question. Do I have to enter the Log4J patterns my different log files use each time I start LogMX, or is there a possibility to save my set of Log4J parsers? Further, I'd like to create a working set of parsers that could then be distributed to others in the organisation who may not be Log4J-literate enough to configure these themselves.

Thanks,

Marko
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving the Log4J patterns

Post by admin »

Hello Marko,

Thanks, happy to hear you like LogMX :)

You don't have to enter the Log4j pattern(s) each time you start LogMX. When you click "OK" or "Apply" in the "Options" window after having set your parser up, all your parsers should be saved to disk (by default, file "<LogMX-install-dir>/config/logmx.properties"). If it's not the case for you, you may want to check the option "Saving LogMX options to disk when" in the "Options" window, tab "General": make sure the item "Options are modified" is selected.

To share Parsers with other people, you can easily export, from LogMX, a set of Parsers to a file, then send this file to someone who can then use the LogMX "Import" feature: In the "Parsers" tab of the "Options" window, first select the Parser(s) to export, then click on the Export button at the right (you can use the tooltip on the buttons if you're not sure which one it is). The selected Parser(s) will then be exported to the file you chose. To import this "Parsers" file, simply use the "Import" button right below the "Export" button you just used.

Please let me know if you have any other question/issue!

Xavier
JacksonLud

Post by JacksonLud »

Hi Xavier, is there a place online where people are sharing their Parsers btw?
This D-Bal review is very insightful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Not for now, but it is in our backlog. We agree that would be nice ;)
I will post a message in this thread when it will be available.

Xavier