Command Line or Service-Based Operation?

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

cdomkokao

Command Line or Service-Based Operation?

Post by cdomkokao »

I am evaluating LogMX for a project I am consulting on and have a few problems.

I got the GUI front-end to do what I want but haven't figured out how to make LogMX run as a service or run with command line to accomplish my goals.

I need LogMX to open up my server.log file from my JBoss server and do a tail parse forever. When it comes across a particular error I want it to run a program and send an email. I can get all of this to work if I use the GUI but can't seem to find the command line options to specify a log file to open when running and get it to run my alerts based on finding events in the log.

Thank you in advance for a solution if there is one.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Command Line or Service-Based Operation?

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX comes with a "Console Mode", but at this time, it only allows you to export log entries to CSV/XML/HTML files (--console --export).
The next version that will be available in a few weeks will also allow you to monitor a file in Console Mode (--console --monitor): you will have to specify on the command line the file to monitor and the name of Alert(s) you want to enable for this monitoring. Alerts will have to be defined using GUI first like you had done with the current version (like any other LogMX settings, these alerts are stored in LogMX settings file "config/logmx.properties" so that you can easily reuse and share these alerts definitions.

I will let you know when this version is available by posting a message in this topic.
Xavier.
cdomkokao

Post by cdomkokao »

A short-term solution might be to be able to enable certain alerts when LogMX is opened and a particular log is opened. I can get LogMX to open and open with a specific log, but I still have to have someone remote into the computer and turn on the alerts we want to have run.

Do you know of any other way for the time being?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry but there is no way to do that at this time. You will still have to manually enable alerts until v2.1.0 is released (see my previous post about Console mode).

Xavier
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v2.1.0 is now available and contains (among other bugfixes/changes) the new feature "File Monitoring in Console mode" that you needed:
http://www.logmx.com/p_download.php#ChangeLog

Regards,
Xavier