Separating Socket Manager Logs into Tabs by IP?

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

rmitola

Separating Socket Manager Logs into Tabs by IP?

Post by rmitola »

Hello everyone. I was wondering if it was possible to, while using a socket manager, separate incoming logs into new tabs based on where said logs are being sent from? I'm not trying to create multiple binds per socket, just separate logs incoming on the same port. If this is not possible, what do you think is the best alternative to easily distinguish and group logs coming from the same source from those of other sources?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Separating Socket Manager Logs into Tabs by IP?

Post by admin »

Hello,

Each LogMX tab has its own "LogManager", so a LogManager (like Socket Manager for example) cannot handle multiple tabs. At this time, you cannot filter/group logs from their incoming IP address using SocketManager, but I guess it would be a good idea to add a column to display this IP when this Manager is used (please let me know if you need it, we will add it in a next release), so that you can group/filter them by incoming IP.

What you can do at this time is filter/group/hide/show any logs according to the value of their fields (emitter, level, message, user-defined field, ...). So if each host is using a specific value in your logs (eg: host 1 sends all logs with "emitter" field containing "h1", and host 2 with emitter containing "h2"), you can filter them by Emitter. If the criteria is on the log Emitter, you can use the left "Emitter" tree (show/hide emitters by clicking on their icon) or a Filter (menu "Filter" or toolbar button). For all other fields, you can also use a Filter. To group entries by a specific field, you can simply sort entries by this field (click on the field column). Please note that using the "Find" or "Export" feature, you can also display any subset of logs in a new tab (but this tab will be static, no auto-refresh in it).

Xavier
rmitola

Re: Separating Socket Manager Logs into Tabs by IP?

Post by rmitola »

Okay, thank you. Those alternatives will work well.