Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
rmitola
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Post by rmitola » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I think I may have found a bug with the GUI displaying special non-English characters. In this case I am using the UTF-8 scheme with Chinese symbols. Here is the problem:

I have no issue getting these characters to display in the log blocks:
Image

However, the special characters show up as boxes in the Entry Details pane:
Image

I believe this is a bug because there is nothing I program in my Parser to specify how text should appear in the Entry Details pane rather than as a log. If it is not a bug, please tell me what I am doing wrong, otherwise I hope this helps!

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Re: Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Post by admin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello,

Strange issue... the encoding is only used when LogManager is reading bytes to create Strings (i.e. characters). Then once the String is created, it should be displayed the same way everywhere. It works for me for all kind of characters:
Image

It's maybe a font issue (have you changed display font in Tools > Options > Encoding? If yes, have you restarted LogMX?), or maybe simply an encoding issue (have you forced UTF-8 in Tools > Options > Encoding? If yes, have you reloaded your file?). If it still doesn't work, please send me your LogMX configuration (private message on this forum if you want): to get it, go to Help > About > Small blue "i" icon at the bottom > button "Copy to clipboard". Maybe it is due to your OS and/or your Java version: I will try to reproduce this with the LogMX configuration you gave me.

Xavier

rmitola
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Re: Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Post by rmitola » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Ok, thanks. I sent you my configuration. I have been using Java 6, so it may be due to that since you mention Java version as a possible source of the problem.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Re: Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Post by admin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you. There are a few things that caught my attention in the configuration you sent me:
  1. Your current encoding setting (Tools > Options > Encoding) is "Use default system encoding", and your default system encoding is "Cp1252". So if your file is really in UTF-8 like you said, I don't understand how Chinese symbols could even be displayed correctly in log entries table. Please choose "UTF-8" instead in Options, then close the file, and re-open it (once opened you can check with keyboard shortcut Ctrl+I which encoding was used -and why- to read the logs).
  2. Your current Java version is "1.8.0_45" (C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_45), and not Java 6 like you previously said: are you sure you got this configuration from the same LogMX instance? Just to be sure, I tried to read an UTF-8 file with your configuration and with Java 6, then 7, then 8, and everything is fine on Windows.
I attached here:
log.zip
(238 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
the UTF-8 text I used for my tests, could you please try it on your side? (of course, be careful to preserve the encoding: you may want to modify this file to match your format instead of copying/pasting its text in your file).

I don't know where your logs come from, but maybe you could send them to me by e-mail? (using the forum would corrupt the encoding...) What would be nice is to have a file attached to a mail instead of a simple mail text to preserve the encoding.

Xavier

rmitola
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Re: Possible GUI Bug Displaying Decodings

Post by rmitola » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Strange - the UTF-8 encoding is working for me today in the Entry Details pane as well as in the logs. For some reason, though, the initial log that comes through with non-English characters has those characters displayed as boxes, but they change once you click on the log, receive more logs, or even re-size the window.

I realize this is a pretty esoteric problem, but it's just a minor thing. The larger issue seems to have been solved, and the small issue just requires a click.

Thanks for your help!

Post Reply