LogMX and Database

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

roey

LogMX and Database

Post by roey »

Hi,
is there any out-of-the-box support for DB in LogMX, either import\export with database?
(AFAIK, it's possible to do with Managers, see http://www.logmx.com/features, just wondering if there is a ready-made option)

cheers!
--roy
admin
Site Admin

Re: LogMX and Database

Post by admin »

Hello Roy,

At this time, there is no out-of-the-box support for logs stored in Databases. Several users have already done that, but we do not have implemented a set of support classes or generic DB LogManager for that yet (from what we have seen, needs can be very different from one user to another, so maybe it will end up providing sources of a simple DbLogManager in example, and with maybe a few utility classes, but we are not sure yet).
You can read more about writing your own Manager here: http://www.logmx.com/manager-dev

Yet, it is already in our TODO's list, but it is currently not a high priority feature.

Do you have any specific need?

Xavier
roey

Post by roey »

Hi Xavier,
Thanks for your reply.

In general, I would like to do two basic operations from LogMX
1. Export: Save all\selected log lines to DB table i.e., after the logs were analyzed, I'd like to save them in the DB for later use
2. Import: Read log lines from a DB table and display in LogMX i.e., user A would like to analyze logs created by user B who saved them in the DB

cheers!
--roy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Feature #2 (import from BD) should be easy: it consists in writing your own LogManager.

Feature #1 (export to BD) is not possible at this time (well you can do it for a single log entry using "External Application" feature, but not for several log entries). It makes me think of a new possible feature: In "Tools" > "Export log entries", adding a new "Export" format called "user-defined Exporter" (next to CSV, JSON, ... formats): users will be able to write their own Exporter, the same way they can currently write their own Parser or Manager. LogMX will then send requested log entries (i.e. all/selected/displayed) to this custom Exporter (in your case, the Exporter will write given entries to your DB).
PS: Purchasing any number of LogMX premium licenses will grant you the right to request a specific development like the one described above (it will also grant you the right to support us ;))

Xavier