The entry details pane size is not persisted

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

Ian Gralinski

The entry details pane size is not persisted

Post by Ian Gralinski »

(Reproducible in v5.5.0)
Resize the entry details pane to fit all entry details. Close LogMX. When LogMX is re-opened, the entry details pane reverts to its original size.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The entry details pane size is not persisted

Post by admin »

Hello Ian,

I tried to reproduce this but I didn't manage to. I'm not sure whether you talk about its width, its height, or both, but on my side, the entries details pane always keeps its width and height after closing/restarting LogMX. Here are a few things to check on your side:
  1. The file "<logmx_dir>/config/logmx.properties" is modified when LogMX is closed (check file's last modification date)
  2. When LogMX is started, the size on the main window is the same as when LogMX was closed. Sometimes, when screen configuration/resolution changed while LogMX is stopped, LogMX can adjust the size of the main window to improve user experience, which involves a modification of the entry details pane size.
Please let me know if you find something.

Xavier
Ian Gralinski

Post by Ian Gralinski »

Hi Xavier,

The file "<logmx_dir>/config/logmx.properties" does get updated after resizing the entry details pane (adjusting the height). The value that gets changed is rightSplitPos, but the height always reverts back to some default height. It looks like the value is written out, but perhaps a default value is being used.

There were no resolution changes between starting LogMX. One more thing that could be relevant is that I am starting LogMX using LogMX-64.exe.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Ian,

Strange behavior... We don't understand what happens on your side. The only "default value" or "fallback value" that is used for parameter "rightSplitPos" is 500, but only when this parameter could not be found in the config file, which doesn't seem to be your case (if it's present but its value is not a proper integer, LogMX displays an error message).

Could you please try to restart LogMX so that this strange "default height" is applied, then close LogMX (without modifying the entry details pane size), then tell us what is the value of "rightSplitPos" in the config file?
Also: sorry for asking this, but just in case: do you close LogMX softly (File > Quit, or Ctrl-Q, or by closing its window) or by killing the process?

PS: the way you start LogMX (LogMX.exe, LogMX-64.exe, or LogMX.bat) should not have any consequence on this pane size.

Xavier
Ian Gralinski

Post by Ian Gralinski »

After opening and closing LogMX, the value of rightSplitPos=1385. I am closing LogMX using the the red "x" on the window; the process is not being killed via task manager (running Windows).

I performed a different experiment and found some interesting behaviour. If I modify the height of the entry details pane so that it takes up most of the screen (rightSplitPos=38), then the next time I open LogMX the entry details pane has a smaller height (rightSplitPos=846). Opening and closing LogMX one more time makes the value change to correspond to the entry details pane having a small height (rightSplitPos=1385).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Ian,

You are right. We have now reproduced the bug and fixed it: in fact, when the main window is maximized, the entry details pane cannot be restored to its previous height after LogMX is restarted.

This fix will be included in the next release, I will let you know when it is available by posting a message in this thread.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Xavier
Ian Gralinski

Post by Ian Gralinski »

Good to hear, thanks Xavier :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Ian,

LogMX v5.5.1 is now released and it includes a fix for this bug :).

Xavier