Problem with Known User Accounts

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

isheedm

Problem with Known User Accounts

Post by isheedm »

I have a host named "bob" that I am working with at the moment with an SCP connection. Yesterday, I added the login/host/password to the Known User Accounts in the Options dialog. Things were working OK.

I reopened LogMX this morning, loaded the last log file again using the recent files list and everything worked OK. I tried to refresh using the "Reload file" icon, and now LogMX complains that I have an invalid login/password combination.

I went to the Known User Accounts and deleted the entry for bob and that did not help. LogMX still complains that I have a bad login/password. However, it doesn't even ask me for a password, and I see no entries in the Known User Accounts.

Where is that data stored? Can I delete the password file?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

I tried to reproduce your problem (using recent files list, then reload file) but it works when I reload the file. I then deleted the user account in Options and reload the file: LogMX asked me the password for this user (without restarting LogMX). I'm sorry but I can't currently explain your problem. Where is an idea: maybe LogMX didn't manage to connect through SSH one time (due to some network issues) and your account has been locked as found in this topic.

To answer your question, LogMX stores login/passwords in "<LogMX_Directory>/config/logmx.properties" in the line starting with "userAccounts=". (LogMX writes this file only when it's closing)

Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I verified that my account isn't locked.

The line from my logmx.properties looks like this:

Code: Select all

userAccounts=
I still get an error saying:

Error while reading file "scp://user@bob:/path/to/file".

[Exception] - Invalid login/password pair to connect to host "bob". 

Retype your password or change it in Network Options dialog.
The remote machine is UNIX.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I just figured it out. I turned off the proxy settings to use "no proxy". I think I turned it on at some point to stop error messages about not being able to check for new updates.

I guess the real bug is that using a proxy breaks scp support.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're right. It's now fixed in v1.1.2 that will be available soon: in SCP error dialogs, LogMX now informs user if a proxy is used, and Proxy options will have two new options:
  • don't use proxy for hosts without domain (e.g. "myhost") : set by default to avoid use of proxy for user network hosts
  • don't use proxy for following hosts: ... : user will be able to add hosts in a text field (separated by a comma like other tools do)
Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Thanks,

I also suggest an option to not use a proxy for hosts with a given domain.

If I entered:

logmx.com

then the proxy would not be used for any machine ending with logmx.com

That would make it much easier for me to not have to type in a long list of hosts.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Another reason for working on domain names is that my company has many different internal networks. I might connect to hosts on the normal intranet where I may not use a domain name in my url. However, I also frequently connect to other internal networks where I must specify a domain name. I could enter 3 or 4 domain names and have everything covered.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, so we will allow wildcard character * to specify a host name pattern in "non-proxy'd hosts" text field. For example:

*.logmx.com, myhost, *.mydomain