give access

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

aavish

give access

Post by aavish »

Hi all
Last edited by aavish on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX is able to open remote logs (on any remote server) using protocols SCP, SFTP, and HTTP (use menu "File" > "Open" > and select the protocol at the top of the dialog). Of course, the server from which you want to read logs must run a SCP, SFTP, or HTTP server.

If you only want to give them a remote access and you want them to use their login/password, you don't need what comes next.
If you want to allow your developers to access some remote logs without giving them the password, here is an idea:
  • Start LogMX yourself
  • Open at least one file on each server: LogMX will ask you your login and password: type them and check "Save password"
  • Once all files are opened, quit LogMX
  • All your login/passwords are saved (and encrypted) in the file "config/logmx.properties": simply copy this file to any LogMX instance for which you want to allow access to your servers (these instances won't need your password again)
Please let me know if you have any question or problem.

Xavier
aavish

Post by aavish »

hi all
Last edited by aavish on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

how will developers copy the file logmx.properties : is it that i have to send them the file and they will save in their folder and then they can view the logs.
Yes, this is what I meant. You will have to send them this file, and each developer will have to: exit LogMX, copy this file in LogMX "config" directory, and re-start LogMX.
Also how is this possible in linux environment , is their any url to access the instance.
I don't think I clearly understood. LogMX is a very small application that can be run on Linux/Windows/Mac, and its "instance" consists in a directory containing a start script "logmx.sh". For example, if a developer installed LogMX in /home/john/app/LogMX, he will simply have to copy your file in "/home/john/app/LogMX/config"
aavish

Post by aavish »

Hello ,
I have tried what u said , the only place i m stuck is that when i quit logmx using the cross (red) button , its not prompting to save password ,
How can i enable that .

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX doesn't prompt to save password when quiting but when opening a remote file (checkbox "Remember this password"):

If you don't want to open a file to save a password, you can go to menu "Tools" > "Options" > "Network" > green "+" button, and enter your account information:

Xavier
aavish

thnx so much

Post by aavish »

Thnx so much sir ,
It worked as u said , one more thing is that can we open multiple files on a
Last edited by aavish on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In fact, LogMX stores a pasword for a {host + user + protocol}, not only for a file. For example, if you already opened a SFTP file "/mylogs/log.txt" as "john" on server "myhost", you won't have to retype your password for any file or folder on this SFTP server (ex: no password for "john" to open "/app/logs/app.log" on SFTP server "myhost")