Remote logs

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

aavish

parsers and view file directory in eval version

Post by aavish »

Sir,
I cant see the tables and columns ( i mean to say error , info and other flashy stuff) in eval version when I scp to a remote server. Is it that I have to write parser of my own or do i have to purchase the licensed version.
Currently I m showing to my client the features, they may purchase the licensed version and they want two thing.

1. Log files with error, debug and info tabs with green , red and yellow that we used to see in earlier version.

2. Be able to navigate to other log files on left pane without typing the URL when we scp for remote log files in deifferent locations , but within same physical server.

Are these features available with licensed version.Or is their any other alternative to make them working.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cant see the tables and columns ( i mean to say error , info and other flashy stuff) in eval version when I scp to a remote server. Is it that I have to write parser of my own or do i have to purchase the licensed version.
Do you mean your log file is displayed in raw-text only? (i.e. no cell, just text like Notepad does). If this is the case, this is not due to eval version: it's because this log file doesn't use a common log format (Log4j HTML, Log4j XML, LogFactor5, ...). As you said, you have to create your own parser, but it doesn't always mean you will have to write a Java class, you may simply have to give LogMX your log pattern, depending on how complex is this log format (see first item of http://www.logmx.com/p_features.php)
1. Log files with error, debug and info tabs with green , red and yellow that we used to see in earlier version.
It's OK. This is a main feature included in both eval and pro versions (see previous point: you simply have to use the right parser to do so)
2. Be able to navigate to other log files on left pane without typing the URL when we scp for remote log files in different locations , but within same physical server.
Our development team currently works on this feature, but the SCP protocol doesn't support remote directories exploration: this feature will be available for SFTP only (LogMX supports SCP and SFTP). Also, please note that SFTP should always be used instead of SCP when possible, because SFTP supports much more features like AutoRefresh, Tail, Auto-detect encoding, ... (most SCP servers provide SCP and SFTP protocols). To use SFTP with LogMX, do exactly the same as for SCP, but simple replace "SCP" by "SFTP". (see viewtopic.php?p=178).
This feature will be included in v1.3.2 that will come in a few weeks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Sorry, I forgot to notify you, but LogMX v1.3.2 was released on february 20th: this version includes a SFTP file browser feature as explained in my previous post.

Xavier