Auto merge of tailed log files

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
apnakon

Auto merge of tailed log files

Post by apnakon »

Hi Xavier,

I have a new request for you - once that would be very powerful indeed (I think!).

Would it be possible for LogMX to tail a number of log files, then automatically append those results
to a merged 'file'. The idea here is that we could tail all of our cluster log files, and keep growing the
merge file with the tailed results from the tailed files.

Would this be difficult to do? If it could be done, that would be great.

Many Thanks,

Adrian.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto merge of tailed log files

Post by admin »

Hello Adrian,

Do you mean allowing both existing features "Tail" and "Merge" at the same time? More precisely:
Currently, you can (using "File" > "Open"):
- [Merge] open N files so that only one tab is opened, containing the merge of these N files
- [Tail] open N files so that N tabs are opened, each one containing a tail of its log file
But if you try to activate both Merge and Tail in this "Open file" dialog box, you currently get an error message telling you that you can't Merge AND Tail at the same time.

Does your feature request consist in allowing these two modes at the same time?

Xavier
apnakon

Post by apnakon »

Hi Xavier,

Well - that would be nice too - but it's not what I'm thinking of.
Sorry if my initial post wasn't so clear on this requirement.

This was what I was thinking of ....

1. I can select 20 distributed Coherence log files, and have tailing turned on for them so they are continually updating.
2. Using the merge tool, I merge all the files.
3. The merged file is continually 'updated' by the log files feeding in their 'tailing' to it. Therefore, I now have a merged file which represents the
latest logged state of my Coherence cluster (nice!).
4. It would be then *way* cool if I could now close all of the log files except the merged file, which is still continually being updated. I guess this would mean that
LogMX would need to 'remember' which files make up the merged file, etc.

This would be a terrific additional piece of functionality, and would be useful not only with Coherence, but with Oracle RAC'ed Database systems as well.

Thanks Xavier,

Adrian.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Adrian,

OK, I think it's very close to what I was thinking of.
Just that you talk about performing this "Merged Tail" once all files are already opened (in trailing mode), whereas I suggested that user can do this without opening all the files to merge (in "File" > "Open", you would just select the files to merge+tail, and it would open an only file tab with the "Merged Tail" of all files).

It would surely be a great feature, so we've just added it to our roadmap. I will let you know it's available soon (should not be for 2010 though).

Thanks for your idea.

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Adrian,

Better late than never, LogMX v4.0.0 is now released, and now supports AutoRefresh on merged files (and on local directory), among many other great new features :D

Xavier