Virtual reset

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Virtual reset

Post by isheedm »

I think it would be useful to have some sort of "virtual reset" function to easily add a filter rule on a timestamp value to all open tabs.

My typical use-case in development work is to have about 3 log files open, perform an operation, examine the log files, then I'd like to "forget" all the entries I've seen so far and try again with another test. Sometimes I just restart my servers to clear out the log files so I can start over with a clean state.

The timestamp filter gives the functionality I need, but it is cumbersome to enter it 3 times from scratch (I can't copy/paste existing values, and I wouldn't want to paste 3 times anyway). In addition, I typically do a simple "reload" of the log files (not tail them), and when I reload the file, the timestamp filter disappears. I'd like the timestamp filter to be remembered, and be applied in the parsing stage so LogMX doesn't even load up entries that don't match (to save memory).

Ideally, I'd like to select a line in a log file, click a button (or choose a menu) that will pull the timestamp for that row in the table and apply it for all tabs. If a row isn't selected, you could popup a window to ask for a value (default could be the last timestamp loaded in the selected tab).

Notes:

I use a reload so I get a static display that doesn't change while I'm examining the log entries. The servers continue to generate log entries, but I don't want to see them or have them take up memory in the application.

I don't want to merge the files because it helps me keep the different server logs separate in my mind.

Other idea: If you select a row in the table and choose a Timestamp filter, default the value to what the selected row has.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Virtual reset

Post by admin »

Hello,

I'm not sure I've understood all your request, but if you have applied a filter on a file tab A, it can be instantly re-used for file tab B, using the yellow star at the right side of the filter panel.

Good idea for using the currently selected log entry date as the default date for date/time popup, this new feature is now included in the version being developed.

Xavier.
isheedm

Re: Virtual reset

Post by isheedm »

Thanks for the reminder about the yellow star. That makes it easy to reuse filters across several tabs.

My idea was to make it easier to setup and apply a date filter across all visible tabs, but the yellow star is probably good enough.