Feature Request: Permanent Session List

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Feature Request: Permanent Session List

Post by isheedm »

I would really like to have a permanent session list that is better than the "recent files" list.

I would like to have a user defined string for the entry, and then configure the host, file, etc. I could then click on a menu or the entry from a list dialog. I could easily have 30 or 40 log file entries defined.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

OK, we will try to go this way.
I don't really understand what you mean by "user defined string for the entry".
Here is what we can do:
  1. A "Workspace" will be a set of files to open. These files can be SCP files, local files, merged files, ...
  2. Each Workspace has a name
  3. User can have one (and only one) opened Workspace at a time
  4. User can close the current Workspace and open another one
  5. User can add/remove files to a Workspace through Options
  6. When closing a Workspace (or LogMX), it will be automatically saved (i.e. its set of files)
  7. LogMX will use a default Workspace for users that don't want to use Workspaces
  8. A new option will force LogMX to open, when it starts, the last opened Workspace
Are you OK with this?
Do you have any other idea?

Xavier.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I like the Workspace idea, but I still want a list of files/sessions/aliases that are independent of a Workspace.

I'm thinking along the lines of how I use an SQL database tool like Squirrel SQL.

See this screenshot:

http://www.squirrelsql.org/screenshots/alias.html

In this example, you can have a list of 'databases' to connect to that are labeled with a user-defined name. Each database connection has multiple properties (name, url, username, password, etc). Once I configure a 'database', I can double-click an entry in the 'aliases' list and be connected to the database.

The remote database is very similar to a remote logfile. I need a username, password, filename, etc.

I think of file aliases as the basic unit of information, and a workspace could be a named collection of aliases.

I hope that helps.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Permanent Session List

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v2.0.0 is now available, and its new Workspace & Bookmark feature should match your need.

Feel free to let me know if you have questions or problems using these new features.