Feature Request: Message improvements

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Feature Request: Message improvements

Post by isheedm »

I have 2 requests for Message improvements:

1) Allow searching within the message display panel. Sometimes I have large messages that are a data dump of an object and I may be looking for a specific piece of data within a large message. Ctrl-F within the message panel would be great. Another keystroke would work too (maybe Ctrl-S)

2) Don't put Log4j tags at the beginning of a message.

When I turn on File and Line tags in the "Message" field, it makes the message hard to read in the table view since they are at the beginning of the string. The tags are a lot of visual clutter I have to ignore. Please put them at the end, separated by newlines.

In general, I prefer to have the main table display ID, Level, and Message. This maximizes the available screen space for viewing messages, but I can still see the detailed data with all tags in the Message panel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

For 1°) => great idea. Ctrl-F keystroke may annoy some users who don't know this feature: depending on the GUI component that has the focus, Ctrl-F would not match the same feature: "entry search" if main table has the focus, and "message text search" if message panel has the focus. Maybe Ctrl-Shift-F, and a small "Search" button in a new small toolbar in the message panel (other possible buttons for this new toolbar could be: Copy, Hide)

For 2°) => OK, user will be able to choose to have the tags at the beginning or at the end of the message (in global Options)

Due to current development roadmap, these two features can't be implemented before February 2008

Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Thanks for the reply.

In addition, I'd like to see all columns from the table be visible as tags at the end of the message. For example, I think the "Emitter" field is very important, but I want to see it at the bottom of a message, not in the table view.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v1.3.3 (released yesterday) now allows text search within the message display panel.

Xavier