Feature Request: Save GUI state for each log file

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Feature Request: Save GUI state for each log file

Post by isheedm »

One thing I like about Chainsaw, is that it will store the state of the filter settings and GUI state for each log file that has been opened.

For example, if I open a logfile and turn off some messages using the package panel, modify some of the visible columns in the table, and change the visible log levels, then close that logfile and reopen it, the same settings are restored.

This helps when I'm examining multiple log files over a period of several days to debug a problem. Each day I can restart the log viewer and see where I stopped work the day before.

It would also be good to include any marker settings, previous search strings, etc.

In general, I like being able to have the entire state of the application restored as appropriate.

This could be an automatic state persistence, or it could be implemented as a manual operation to mark a log file such that LogMX knew to begin saving the GUI state for it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Another good idea!
Maybe we can add a button to save the current file state: filtered emitters, filtered levels, marked entries, user-defined filters, and position in file. State would be automatically named according to file name and a sequential number (user would not be asked for a state name but would be able to rename it if he wants). Of course, user would be able to easily apply a previous saved state, from any file state.

Maybe automatically restoring last state at start-up could be confusing, user may think some entries are missing if they are already filtered. So we can add an option in preferences to allow that.
Note: due to our current roadmap, this feature can't be available before March 2008.