Feature Request: Upgrade process improvements

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Feature Request: Upgrade process improvements

Post by isheedm »

Here are some ideas that should make the upgrading process easier for me:

1) Have a way for a new LogMX version to import the settings from the previous version (parser definitions, network settings, etc). I prefer that this be done automatically, but a manual method would be good too.

2) Allow the max memory settings (-Xmx option) to be specified in a command line option. I have a Linux machine at work and LogMX is installed by a system admin and is owned by root. I have to copy the logmx.sh file to my home directory and edit it each time I upgrade. If I could simply have a wrapper script that wraps your logmx.sh script and passes in custom memory settings and any other necessary options (-Dconfig.file for example), that would be easier for me.

I just got 1.3.3 installed. Thanks for the good work!

David
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I just found this message which helps me know which files to copy:

viewtopic.php?t=19

I would still like to have LogMX do the import because I don't want to run into trouble if the config format changes between versions and I blindly copy the logmx.properties file to the new installation (actually, to my home directory on UNIX).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

As explained in the post you linked, you can safely replace the new config file with your old one, we always make sure that each LogMX version handles older config files (backward compatibility).

You are right, if you can't write in the files located in the LogMX directory (start script + config file), you can copy these files in a directory in which you can write in it. In your ".sh" script, simply use the line:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_FILE_PATH="-Dconfig.file=/mypath/logmx.properties"
Another solution would be to copy/paste the whole LogMX directory (only ~3Mb).

We will try to use any option given to start script as JVM parameters instead of default ones (for v2.0.0 that should be available this fall)

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Upgrade process improvements

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v2.0.0 is now available, and with its new "logmx.sh" start script, you can now use any JVM options instead of default JVM options included in this start script (these options are to be given through this start script arguments).

Feel free to let me know if you have questions or problems using this new feature.

Xavier