Feature Request: Bookmark log files

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Feature Request: Bookmark log files

Post by isheedm »

I have a common set of servers and log files I often need to examine. This includes log files for servers in the following (4) environments:

personal development
team developer testing
user testing
production

I also have at least 4 log files per installation. That is 16 log files per project. Our company has about 12 project installations so far, so that can easily mean that I may want to see up to 192 log files. In reality, I don't need to see all log files for every installation. We generally check the log files in testing and production environments only if we are investigating a problem.

However, it would be nice to have a bookmarking system where I can save the URL's under a user defined name so that I can access them more easily. The recent files list is good, but a flat list can't handle 192 entries!

My preference is to have a tree structure so that I can group the bookmarks according to project and environment (much like the bookmarks editor in a web browser).

At the moment, I use the SFTP browser to find log files on production systems, but I could save time if I had a bookmark pre-defined.

David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Indeed, we plan to add "Workspace" and "Alias" (or "Bookmark") concepts in LogMX, since your previous feature request : viewtopic.php?t=32.
Workspaces and aliases will be stored in a tree structure where you can hold a set of aliases (i.e. file URLs) in each Workspace, so you can open several log files at the same time without using the "Recent files" list or "File > Open".

You would be able to bookmark ("alias") any opened file and add it to any Workspace (user-defined alias name)

You would be able to add/edit/remove Workspaces/aliases in a tree view, through Options.

This feature may be available in the next major release "v2.0.0" that should be available this fall.

Xavier.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Sorry for the duplicate request!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're welcome! :wink:
Thanks for your ideas