Problem with Merge and user fields

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

apnakon

Problem with Merge and user fields

Post by apnakon »

HI Xavier,

I think I may have found a bug with LogMX. It's to do with how user defined fields are dealt with during the
Merge process. It looks like that Merge is ignoring the fields. The fields seem to be recognized by
the system, but Merge will not work with them. That is, it does not display them.

Can you help, please?

Many Thanks,

Adrian.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Merge and user fields

Post by admin »

Hello Adrian,

You're right, it's obviously a bug.
It will be fixed in the next release, we will post a reply in this topic to let you know.

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v2.0.3 was released today but couldn't include this bug fix yet, but it's now planned as a major fix for the next release.
I will post a message in this thread to let you know.

Xavier.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Xavier,
I was wandering whether there was any update to this thread, you mention it would go into the next release, I don't suppose you have any timelines for that? It would be a very useful fix if it was available soon.

Thanks & Regards
Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Tom,

We are currently working on version v2.1.0, which will include this fix, and should be available for May.

I will let you know by posting a message in this thread.

Xavier.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Xavier,
That's great thanks for the reply,
Are there any other major features going into this release?
Regards
Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Tom,

This version will mainly fix known bugs.
The main new feature is the addition of file monitoring and alerts in Console mode (no GUI).

Changes:
  • Log Parser: now displaying line number when a parsing error occurs
  • Filtering: when "Message" operand is selected, always select "contains" operator by default
Other bugfixes:
  • In "Options" window, levels redirections were saved even if user clicked the "Cancel" button
  • LogMX Options couldn't be saved (in "Options" window) if LogMX started without configuration file (i.e. when using default configuration)
  • Using Simple Parser or Log4jPattern Parser, couldn't parse log entries which timestamp was like "8.450" or "814.450" using format "%d{ss.SSS}"
  • Bad entries table repaint when hiding "Timestamp" column
  • Fixed a NPE when Ctrl-W typed but no file opened
  • [Alert editor] Using recent JRE 6, it was not possible to configure "mail" or "program" actions for an alert (action checkbox was unselected after action edition)
  • Level redirection didn't work if a specific parser was used (worked if all parsers used)
  • [Console Mode] Trying to use the "Export" feature on evaluation version produced a error stack trace instead of "Evaluation version" message
Xavier.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Xavier,
Thanks for the updates, the new merge feature seems to be working well which is really good, however I'm having some issues around timestamps.
Previously I've been using a simple parser and timestamp field with a format of yyyy MM dd HH:mm:ss.SSSS, which was working ok and allowed me to interlace the files when merging. However in the new LogMX version this pattern does not work and the parser is no longer able to parse the log files. If I remove the pattern altogether then I can parse the files but when merging (or computing the delta's) I get an error saying that absolute date is not available.

What has changed in the new version or what am I doing wrong?
Also is there a way to in effect debug simple parsers? So that I could for example see which part of the pattern is causing the issue?

Thanks
Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

You posted on this topic before I did, to tell you about the new version! You're very fast :wink:

This behavior is due to an evolution in v2.1.0.
On one hand, you shouldn't have your date format ending with "SSSS" which means up to 4 digits for the number of milliseconds, which can not occur. Timestamps go, for example, from "10s 999ms" to "11s 000ms" and not to "10s 1000ms".

On the other hand, I've just tested it, and Log4j allows such date patterns (even "SSSSS"!) and it simply pads the number with '0's before, like "000950".

We will then fix it in the next release. We will try to release a new version very shortly.
In the meantime, you can:
  • simply replace "SSSS" with "SSS" in your LogMX pattern, if you didn't use Log4j with its pattern set to "SSSS" (i.e. if your logs don't contain milliseconds like "0450"),
  • or modify the way your logs are written so that it contains only 3 digits max for milliseconds
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v2.1.1 is now available, and includes a fix for this time format bug.

Xavier.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Xavier,
Thanks for the update, it looks to be working well now.

Regards
Tom