Error using Socket Manager receiving log4j-1_2_13.jar events

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

vaglogMX

Error using Socket Manager receiving log4j-1_2_13.jar events

Post by vaglogMX »

Hi,

I am evaluating LogMX for recommended use at a client to access remote logs from a distributed set of servers which generate logs via log4j-1_2_13.jar. Changing fomr this version of log4j is not an option at this time.

So after adding the log4j-1_2_13.jar to the LogMX lib sub-folder, restarting LogMX, configuring LogMX to listen on a specific port where a log4j SocketAppender is targeted to send events --- then starting one of the servers then as soon as an event is fired off I get a Status: with a round circle & line cross with the word (EOFException). (see attached image)

A couple notes:

* LogMX indicates it supports og4j v1.x with a little green light on the configuration (open) dialog
* The same SoclketAppender successfully sends events which ae received by a log4j-1_2_13.jar SocketServer & another Google log viewer tool
* I switched to running a specific JRE 1.6.x after tryingthe standard 64-bit exe launcher which probably ran the default Windows jre 1.7.x version - both failed with the same result

So, her is something ironic that I am asking -- can someone tell me where LogMX generates its log / stack trace?
Or, any ideas how to get this to work?

Thanks... Vince
Attachments
LogMXError.jpg
LogMXError.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Error using Socket Manager receiving log4j-1_2_13.jar ev

Post by admin »

Hello,

It appeared that Log4j v1.2.13 is not supported (by LogMX) at this time: it lacks method "org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.getTimeStamp()", which appeared in v1.2.15 (see Log4j API).
LogMX was initially designed to be compatible with Log4j version 1.2.15 and greater (Log4j v1.2.13 was released in 2006, and v1.2.15 in 2007).
But anyway, we will fix this in the next LogMX release (that should be available in one or two weeks), since there's an easy way to process such old events without this method (public field instead of getter). I will let you know when it's available by posting a message here.

Thank you for your feedback.
Xavier
admin
Site Admin

Re: Error using Socket Manager receiving log4j-1_2_13.jar ev

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v5.3.0 is now available, and is compatible with Log4j v1.2.13 (great new things are also available like the "Timeline" feature: http://www.logmx.com/download#ChangeLog).

Xavier