Manually Switching to Next Parser

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

obarak

Manually Switching to Next Parser

Post by obarak »

There are situations where LogMX incorrectly recognizes my file as one log format, where it actually uses a different one. Is there a way I can manually choose a parser or manually switch to the next parser on the list?

Thanks,
Omer
admin
Site Admin

Re: Manually Switching to Next Parser

Post by admin »

Hello Omer,

At this time, you can't directly switch to next parser manually. LogMX will try to parse the file with the first defined Parser, then automatically switch to the second if the first one didn't parse any log entry. And so it goes until the last Parser is reached. If it sometimes uses the wrong Parser, you may want to go in menu "Tools", then "Options", "Parsers", and use the following tips:
  1. If the wrong parser is used by LogMX, and if you never use this Parser, you can simply disable it (by clicking on the checkbox in the "Active" column). It will not be selected again by LogMX.
  2. Re-order your parsers: put your most format-constraint parsers on top. For example, if you have a log format X for which all log event fields are separated with the same character, and another format Y for which is field has a different separator, put Y on top of the Parsers list in "Options" > "Parsers".
  3. Before switching to net Parser, LogMX will try to read the N first lines, and the value of N can be configured in "Options" > "Parsers"
But I agree it is not very simple. I've just added a new item in our road-map: a new feature so that you can directly choose the Parser to use in the "Open log file" dialog :wink:

Xavier
obarak

Post by obarak »

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Better late than never, this feature is now available in LogMX v7.11.0 which has just been released :D (to use it, go to the "Parser" tab from the "Open logs" dialog):
parser.png
parser.png (30.2 KiB) Viewed 9983 times
This feature can also be used with Bookmarks and all kind of workspace elements.
obarak

Post by obarak »

Wow, really "better late than never" :-)
Looks good, thanks for the update!