Basic Concepts - Thread, emitter, and level

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

tgco

Basic Concepts - Thread, emitter, and level

Post by tgco »

I'm getting started with the LogMX and one thing I'm not finding is discussion clarifying the concepts of Thread, Emitter, and Level in the Simple Parser Editor.

Im taking a crack at trying to parse kerberos KDC logging (MIT flavor) and need to set up custom fields that are evident, but aligning fields with the thread and emitter are what I'm wondering about.

Level appears to be a "severity level" kind of field?

Is there a post or blog that goes over those basic concepts?

Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Basic Concepts - Thread, emitter, and level

Post by admin »

Hello,

Yes, "Level" usually indicates the "severity level". It could be INFORMATION, INFO, WARNING, WARN, ERROR, FATAL, ... Since LogMX can handle any kind of logs, the concept behind "severity level" (or "log levels") may not be the same between different kind of logs.

The "Thread" is not always used and is usually associated to a system thread (i.e. light process). Each Thread usually has a name and it's useful to have it in the logs, as several threads can be run at the same time.

The "Emitter" is often use in logs, it describes who produced each log entry (it could be the Class name if using Java/C++ for example, or a script name, a function name, ....)

Xavier
tgco

Re: Basic Concepts - Thread, emitter, and level

Post by tgco »

Thanks!