Work with Putty Pagent for SCP operations

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

admin
Site Admin

Re: Work with Putty Pagent for SCP operations

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v3.0.1 is now released, and it finally includes the support of public/private key pair authentication :D.

At this time, it supports RSA or DSA OpenSSH private keys (protected or not with a passphrase).
To convert your private key using PuTTY, start PuTTY Key Generator, open (or create) your PuTTY private key, then export it to OpenSSH format using menu "Conversions", item "OpenSSH key".
Then, to use it in LogMX, simply create or modify the desired user account ("Tools" > "Options" > "Network"), checking "Use public key Authentication".

Let me know if you have any problem/remark/question.

Xavier.
allanlewis

Post by allanlewis »

Xavier,

Thanks for doing this - I'll test it out at some point and post feedback here if I encounter any issues.

Allan.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I just got the new version installed, v3.0.1, and the private key authentication works well.

Thank you very much for this feature. This will make it MUCH easier to use this tool.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

One comment on the GUI for specifying the private key file: On Linux, it is usually stored in the "~/.ssh" directory. The file browser doesn't allow you to see and select a directory starting with a "." character. I manually typed in ".ssh" and was able to navigate into that directory then select my id_rsa file.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Directories starting with "." (like ".ssh") are currently not shown in all LogMX file choosers on Linux, since on Linux, these directories are "hidden directories" (same behavior on Windows but files don't have to start with "." to be hidden).

Even if it is possible to fix this and show these directories, i'm not sure that it will always help the user, since many directories that are usually hidden to him will appear. So we will surely allow hidden directories display for this private key file chooser only.

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v3.0.2 is now available for download, and fixes this behavior (now all hidden files/folders are shown by default for private key file selection, for Windows/Linux/Mac).

Xavier.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

After using this awhile, I see that you store the private key information for each entry in Tools->Options->Network (to segregate between username, hostname, protocol)

I have about 10 different servers configured and they all use the same username, protocol, and SSH private key information. The only difference is the hostname.

It would be really nice if we could set the private key on a global level and each entry in the Network dialog would inherit the global setting unless it was customized for that particular entry. That would make setup much easier.

Fortunately, this setup info doesn't change often. I'm very happy that this feature exists at all, and this suggestion is to just make things easier.

David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello isheedm,

How about adding:
  • A button in "Options" > "Network" to duplicate a user account (with all its settings)
    and
  • A dropped-down list on the "Private key" text field so that you can easily select an already selected Private key file
(Using a default Private key file seems a bit too specific to me)

Xavier.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I thInk the drop down list would be good. That would help if I were to change my private key file, or change the password for it.

The ability to copy and paste an entry would be good in general too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Both new features (Private Key drop down list + user account duplication) are both present in LogMX v3.1.0 released a few days ago (sorry for this delay).

Xavier.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Thanks for the update and for being open to suggestions. This improves the software and makes it easier to use.