eval and paid are different--any trial of paid?

Is it free? When do I have to pay? Come in to find out...

Moderator: admin

Do other folks find this this confusing?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

carehart

eval and paid are different--any trial of paid?

Post by carehart »

Folks, the download page (http://www.logmx.com/p_download.php) suggests that the eval and paid editions are different. That's a little confusing, as it suggests that one cannot evaluate the paid edition. I suppose if the "eval" were called "lite" or "free", and there was a separate time-limited eval edition that was called "eval", it would make more sense to a newcomer.

So here's the bottom line: can one trial the paid edition? Or can we only experience the more advanced features by buying without trying? Just seems an unusual approach. Thanks for any clarification.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

You're right, this can be a little confusing.
Here are some explanations:
  • The Eval version must not be used for commercial purpose. Calling it "Free" will make Companies think it's OK to use it for months, and that they don't have to purchase it.
  • We don't really want to provide a "time-limited" version, as we know how simple it is to bypass this security...
Yes, user can only experience the more advanced features by purchasing LogMX. And I agree, this could be "frustrating" for the user. But at this time, I think these features are rather "simple" to understand using our Screenshots and Features pages.

However, thanks for this poll: if it shows that other users think we should provide an Eval version in which Pro features are time-limited, we may do so if it helps them finding out if the Pro version matches their need.

Xavier.
aavish

which one i can use for commercial

Post by aavish »

Hi sir ,
Which version can i use as commercial version , also let me know where can i download ur previous versions : 1.1.x

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

You can use the evaluation version for commercial purpose for 30 days only. Then, if you find LogMX matched your need, you should purchase the professional version to keep using LogMX for commercial purpose.

We don't provide support/download anymore for v1.1.x since v1.2.x versions (january 2008).

Feel free to participate to the above poll if you think that eval and pro versions should come in another way.

Xavier.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note: Next post done by user "aavish" was moved to: viewtopic.php?t=66 (it appeared that this post dealt more with remote logs and feature request, than a eval/pro version issue)
isheedm

Re: eval and paid are different--any trial of paid?

Post by isheedm »

Is this still true with LogMX v4? (different binaries for eval vs pro)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello isheedm,

Yes, nothing changed on licensing for v4 (different binaries for eval vs pro), since most people seem to be OK with these licensing terms (not based on this poll since only one person answered, but based on customers exchanges).
Feel free to let us know what you think about it :wink:

Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I does make it easier sometimes to have one binary so anyone can download it.

In a large organization, the installer must contact the purchasing department to download the pro version and make it available to him. That can cause delays.

However, we have been working with the current situation, so it isn't a critical need.