Improve saving of a filtering state

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Improve saving of a filtering state

Post by isheedm »

I like the new filtering states feature, but I find it hard to save a state and then update it later. I have to manually type in the same name as another one to force it to overwrite. I would prefer to have a dropdown list of existing filter states to pick one already present, or choose a new one.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Improve saving of a filtering state

Post by admin »

Hello,

I guess you are talking about the case where you saved a FS (=Filtering State) called "X", then another FS called "Y", then want to update "X".
Because when you save a FS as "X", to update it you simply have to click on item "Save current filtering state as X" if you didn't save another FS right after saving X (i.e. you can always easily update the last saved FS)

I agree that it would be great if we can always update an existing FS easily, without having to manually re-type in its name. To do so, which feature do you prefer:
  1. Adding a sub-menu "Save current filtering state as >" right after "Save current filtering state as ...". This sub-menu will list all existing FS, in order to choose the one to update
  2. In the FS editor that is displayed when you click "Save current filtering state as ...", use an editable combo-box for the FS name, in order to easily pick-up an existing FS name if needed
Thank you for your feedback!

Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Consider this case. Launch LogMX, open a log file, click on the filtering state button, save filtering states X and Y. Close LogMX.

Reopen LogMX, and the filtering state button no longer shows you the "Save current filtering state as X" menu options anymore. You only get the default "...save" and "...save as"

I think option 1 is OK since I don't plan to have so many that the menu will get too big. That is always my concern with choosing menu vs combo-box.

Another option I would like to have, is a way to easily append the current emitter list to an existing filtering state. That allows me to build up a master list over time. I guess that would mean menus for "save/save as" and "append/append as".

If you don't want to add the "append" feature, please add a right-click menu to copy/paste the emitter list when editing a state.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Again, if you choose the "paste" menu, I'd like a way to replace the list with a Paste, or append to it.