Set default export location

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jobemakar

Set default export location

Post by jobemakar »

Hi,

It is common for us to export to LogMX entries file. But it takes several clicks to save it to the location I want. This location isn't remembered.

I request the ability to change the default location. Or, just have it remember the last save location and automatically default it to that spot.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Set default export location

Post by admin »

Hello,

By default, LogMX currently uses the original log file directory (when available) as output directory (and guessing output file name according to export type). Here is what I suggest:
  • If the directory selected by the user for the export is different than the original log file, then it is remembered (i.e. next Export will suggest this directory by default).
  • If the directory selected by the user for the export is the same as the original log file, then this directory is not remembered (i.e. next Export will suggest using original log file directory by default).
Do you think it would be OK?

Also, I guess that, by "default location" you mean only the directory, not the output file name (i.e. remember "/home/john/" and not "log-export.xml").

I guess we can implement this (good) idea in the next release (I will post a message here to let you know when it's done).

Thank you
Xavier
jobemakar

Post by jobemakar »

Hi Xavier,

All of our logging happens via TCP. So there is no original file location. Most of the time we log via TCP and then just close the tab or clear the contents...hence disposing of it. But when we run into something interesting, (a few times / day) we then choose to export. It is this step that I'm referring to.

Your bullet points below are appreciated but aren't relevant in our workflow.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK thank you, that makes sense :)

So in your case, since LogMX will not be able to determine the original log file path, it will remember the last used export directory (even after restarting LogMX of course).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

LogMX v5.5.0 is now released, and it now remembers the last used customized export directory :)
Sorry for the delay.

Xavier