Easier updating

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
mrobinson108

Easier updating

Post by mrobinson108 »

It would be great if, when you offer updated, it did not require me to search through my emails to find my client ID. I would think this is a piece of data that could be stored by LogMX (encrypted?) and read as needed.

p.s. the latest update 7.4.0 downloads but does not seem to install/update properly. If I knew where the is download saved I might be able to tell if is corrupted or not.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Easier updating

Post by admin »

Hello,

I agree that it would be easy for LogMX to store your Client ID, but not storing it is actually by design (sadly for the users): the purpose is to make things a bit more complicated to have illegal copies of LogMX being updated - so that at least honest people don't do it without knowing it... In the past we had users that just copied the LogMX directory to another computer without thinking of licensing issues (may not have realized that it was a software purchased by their company for example), and then asked our support why they couldn't get updates without even realizing that it was a licensed product that they didn't pay for (or when they downloaded the last version they were surprise to "loose" some (Pro) features). So if LogMX stores both the Client ID + License Number in a file, creating illegal copies being able to get software upgrades would be so easy that people could do it without even realizing it.

Concerning the in-app updates, you're right. It has been fixed today via a new release 7.5.0. The release 7.4.0 contained a bug that, indeed, prevented the in-app updates to work, sorry for the inconvenience. So going to menu "Help", then "Check for updates" will now update to v7.5.0.

Please let me know if you have any question.
Xavier
mrobinson108

mrobinson108

Post by mrobinson108 »

Thanks for correcting the last update.

OK, I see your point about paying vs non-paying customers. However, there are a lot of vendors that do offer that convenience and I'm sure that they take precautions to prevent unauthorized use. How, I don't know, but one idea would be to make use of a non-descript file name stored in an unusual place with the contents hashed to prevent human readable content. Maybe that's too much work, depending on the number of customers you have. But it would be nice.