option to disable click-to-sort column

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jpierce

option to disable click-to-sort column

Post by jpierce »

I'm finding the clicking on columns to sort them very annoying. I never really see the need for that in my logs. And I accidentally do it when I try to move or resize the headers.
admin
Site Admin

Re: option to disable click-to-sort column

Post by admin »

Hello,

Thanks for submitting your idea.
Funny enough, LogMX have not had this feature for many years (we, too, didn't see the need to sort logs), and due to the high demand, we finally implemented it when we realized (while talking with users) that most of the time, people need to actually GROUP log entries, not SORT. And that is indeed useful when you have a set of duplicates and you want to group them to browse/count the different possible values.

Sorting a table by clicking on a column is pretty common and I must say that I personally never encountered a software having an option to disable this behavior. Even if I understand your need, I'm still wondering what would happen if at some point you want to group a bunch of values to easily see the different sets: you would have to find this option again, un-check it, then click on the column to sort, then go back to the options, and re-check it again.

I'm adding this feature to our backlog with a low priority right now, but I'm opened to the discussion to increase the priority, I may have missed something!

Thanks,
Xavier
jpierce

Re: option to disable click-to-sort column

Post by jpierce »

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I saw the earlier thread requesting it when you didn't have it. :D Interesting about grouping. Not really something that's applicable to our logs but everyone has slightly different problems to tackle.

Typically, I find the tradeoff of click-to-sort to be worth it on tables where you really do want to sort a lot. But in a situation where I just find that I would almost never use that, it becomes an annoyance that it gets in the way more often.

I would have expected it to appear on the right-click menu for columns, such that it'd be super easy to find. That's the first place I'd look if I was interested in trying to find a feature related to column sorting.

I agree that it's not a high priority item, though.