clear find results

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jpierce

clear find results

Post by jpierce »

Maybe I'm missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to clear find results from the strip that runs along the right side of the grid near the scrollbar after doing something like Edit->Find. The only way I can find to do it is to bring up find again and type in some non-sense. Perhaps a menu item, bound to pressing Esc in the grid (that's a common thing I see in ?
admin
Site Admin

Re: clear find results

Post by admin »

Hello,

It's actually at the bottom of the window (status bar) where it says "Text search": click on it to see the "Clear search results" option. I agree it's not really intuitive... You were suggesting displaying the option when you press ESC on the table? I didn't know such shortcuts, is it a common thing you think people would do?
jpierce

Post by jpierce »

No, not suggesting the option, just doing it.

I mean it's common in places like - if you're using Chrome and probably other browsers - if you hit Ctrl-F right now, type some text to find, then press escape.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh I see what you mean. I think it works fine for browsers because they don't have a "Find" window but instead a small new toolbar that appears at the top/bottom. But since LogMX has way more search options, it needs a window, and people might need to close the window to see more content, without clearing the results: that's why if you press ESC while on the Find window, it will hide the window while keeping the search results so that you can browse the found occurrences. In this case I'm not sure that using ESC while on the entries table would work, it might confuse people or they might do it unintentionally. How about maybe a "Clear results" button in the "Find" window? not great if they already closed this window, but a bit better than performing a dummy search hopefully?
jpierce

Post by jpierce »

Sorry, that was just an example I pulled off the top of my head. Here's others:

Press F3 in Visual Studio code window to Find Next. Press Escape and it will un-highlight your find result. Same behavior in IntelliJ, Delphi, UltraEdit, SQL Studio.

All of those are when you don't have the Find box up anymore.

Now, you may rightly quibble with me that what you're actually dismissing (with the exception of Delphi) is the selection of the word and not the highlighting of it as a find result. I can't argue with that. If ESC in the grid removed selection from all selected rows, I think this would be good behavior instead.

As far as it being on the Find box, I think a more reasonable result would be to bring up the Find box and then dismiss it. That would be what I'd expect to get rid of find results as opposed to looking for a special button.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks, we will see how we can implement a more intuitive way!