tooltip/hint for full cell contents on flyover?

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jpierce

tooltip/hint for full cell contents on flyover?

Post by jpierce »

It would be helpful if you could flyover an abbreviated grid cell in order to get the full data (up to a limit). For example, I have some emitters that are occasionally longer than the cell, but not frequently enough that I want to make the cell bigger. If I've turned off emitters in the details pane (which I have), it's a bit of an annoyance to see the full emitter name. Flying over that cell and having it show up in a tooltip would solve the problem.
admin
Site Admin

Re: tooltip/hint for full cell contents on flyover?

Post by admin »

Hello,

Yes, I understand. Funny enough, we had this for a short time, but we had to remove it because it was too annoying in some cases: when too many cells are just a bit too small (which happens often), then you get a tooltip on all of them, which was really annoying to work with this log entries table. At some point we thought that we could display this tooltip only if the SHIFT key was down, but that wasn't intuitive at all, and it would have created some conflicts with the multiple rows-selection through the SHIFT key.

We also thought about having a long text field at the top, like in Excel/GoogleSheet, to display the content of the selected cell only, but that would have been useless for multi-line content and used some extra vertical space (not great with the ultra-wide monitors), so the conclusion was that using the Entries details panel is the best trade-off for now...

Xavier
jpierce

Re: tooltip/hint for full cell contents on flyover?

Post by jpierce »

Okay, understood. If you were to ever bring back the show-on-flyover code, with an option to turn it on, that'd be great.