Quick Open

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jpierce

Quick Open

Post by jpierce »

(Not sure how feasible this is, given your architecture.)

One of the things I love about UltraEdit is the Quick Open feature. Instead of opening a full dialog box, it just prompts you with a box like this:

The reason it's great is because you can be opening something up on a slow network directory, or a folder with a lot of files, etc. and you don't wind up with a lag while the dialog keeps you from typing in a filename because it wants to load all the files. I notice this lag when I'm loading something off a mapped network drive in LogMX on Windows. Instead, you just type or paste in the filename and go. It defaults the current dir of the last file you opened, in case you don't enter a relative filename. Or you can enter a path and filename and it loads that.

As it stands, I already have the listing of files I want to open. I'm just copy/pasting the path into LogMX. Right now I have to choose Open, wait for it to load the dir listing, then paste the filename in and click the open button.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick Open

Post by admin »

Hello,

Unless I missed something, I think this use case is already covered by the URL bar in the main window toolbar: you can paste there any complex LogMX URL and it will load it, the matter the LogManager (FTP, SFTP, SFTP-DIR, SMB, ...). If you're note sure about the syntax to use for the URL, you can first use the "Open logs" dialog to manually open your logs, and see the generated URL in the main window toolbar. Or you can also check the tip at the top of the "Open logs" window, it will give you the URL syntax for the current manager. It can get pretty complex, for example for SFTP directory manager:
sftp-dir://{Login}@{Host}[:{Port}]/{Directory}[?us={UserSubstit.}][?nu={NewUser}][?pwd={NeedPasswd}][?sim={SimuLogin}][?f={File name filter}][?i={Interlace merge}][?a={Auto-refresh}][?r={Recursive file search}][?t={File recency filter (in min.)}]
Let me know if you think it doesn't cover such a "Quick Open" feature (well for sure the optional relative path used in UltraEdit is not supported there).
jpierce

Re: Quick Open

Post by jpierce »

Nice! I never knew that box had that functionality. X)

I think that covers it, thanks.