Control ALERT and TAIL features from command line

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
mckenzis

Control ALERT and TAIL features from command line

Post by mckenzis »

I have a large number of log files for a number of different systems.

I usually don't shut my PC down but occasionally I have to.

On restart, I open 6 LogMX instances and open a difference workspace in each (no of files in each ranges from 3 to 20). I then have to manually go to each file and turn on the alerts relating to that system (then minimise to system tray).

Also, as some of these log files are large I have to turn on the tail function for some of the workspaces.

So, it would be great to be able to activate alerts and the tail function from the command line. (Similar to how the alert works with the --console option but actually launching the logMX windows)

I tried using the --console option to do this but when the alerts are activated (I have focus as the action), there was no alert window popup and no way to launch the gui, so it was not as useful as I had hoped!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Control ALERT and TAIL features from command line

Post by admin »

Hello,

Would it be nice for you if you can set, for each Workspace element:
  • if Auto-Refresh must be turned on
  • if Tail Mode must be turned on
  • which alert(s) to use (if Auto-Refresh or Tail Mode selected)
If yes, we could add such a feature in a future release.

Xavier
mckenzis

Post by mckenzis »

Hi Xavier

Yes, that would be very useful.

It would be even more useful if a command line parameter was introduced to open a specific workspace.

Then I would be able to create a cmd script to open the 6 workspaces (each in it's own LogMX instance) and each would automatically get the correct ALERT and TAIL settings...

Asking for too much?

Steve

PS I have created a VB Script to show alerts and hooked that up to an ALERT and then launched via --console --monitor for now!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Steve,

LogMX v5.0.0 is now released! Better late than never, you can now save Tail/Autorefresh/Alerts settings for each Bookmark and Workspace element.
Moreover, you can now also use (in Console mode) "--monitor" option with "workspace:" and "bookmark:" inputs.

Enjoy :D

Xavier