cancel opening multiple files when out of memory

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
jpierce

cancel opening multiple files when out of memory

Post by jpierce »

If you tell LogMX to open a bunch of files, and it runs out of memory partway through, it would be nice if in the popup there was an option to tell it to cancel loading the rest of the files.
admin
Site Admin

Re: cancel opening multiple files when out of memory

Post by admin »

Good point.
How did you load these files? Was it:
  1. using a Directory Manager (e.g. SFTP directory, local directory)?
  2. through a merge of multiple files ("Merge" option used at the bottom of the "Open logs" window)?
  3. using the menu "File" > "Open several logs in a merged view"?
  4. using a Workspace (menu "File" > "Workspaces")?
I think if it was choice 1 it would actually be a bug. For 2, 3, 4 we need to implement that.

Thanks!
jpierce

Post by jpierce »

It was none of the above. :D

I went to File->Open->Local File Manager and selected a bunch of log files and clicked Open.

Speaking of which, I noticed that when you re-open the File->Open later, the same files are still selected as last time. This could be seen as a feature, but one time I was going a little quick and went to open and pasted in the path into File Name and pressed OK, not noticing that it still had a selection. So it opened the two files I had selected earlier and not the one I pasted into the File Name box.
jpierce

Post by jpierce »

Also, it would be really useful to be able to select something from the File of Type for a filter other than *.*. I often am opening it from a directory with a lot of other stuff, and would actually want it to be just looking for *.log most of the time. Maybe in the options you could add extensions to go in the dropdown, and select which one should be the default? I'm sure other people use different extensions, but I always use *.log.

Likewise, if I type *.log in the File Name, I would expect it to filter to that. Is that just a Windows-centric expectation, though? Perhaps another Windows-centric expectation is that when I type a folder name in File Name and hit enter, it switches to the folder (if it exists under the current one). And if I have a folder selected and press enter, it switches to the folder rather than just doing nothing like it does now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, got you, we will also try to solve these "Open file" dialog issues as well (I think it makes sense, not only for Windows OS)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LogMX v7.8.0 has been released:
  • If LogMX runs out of memory when loading multiple log files, it now doesn't try to load the remaining log files anymore
  • The "Open file" dialog received a few improvements for local files: it now provides 2 new file filters (for "*.log" files, and for compressed files), and it now supports any custom filter (e.g. "*.mylog") entered in the file name text field
Thanks for pointing this out!
Xavier